11/19/2009

Gift Helps Bodybuilder Revive Her Career

NEWARK -- It seemed like a simple birthday present, but it turned into one of the best gifts Lynne Nichols ever received.
Her husband, Mike, got her personal-training sessions for her 46th birthday in January, and Nichols promptly turned it into her opening back into her sport.

After 15 years away from a successful women's bodybuilding career, Nichols jumped back in with the same furor -- and the same degree of success. She entered the figure competition -- which focuses less on the muscle mass of bodybuilding and more on aesthetics -- at the OCB Natural Steel Championships in Pittsburgh, taking first place in the Figure Masters 45-plus category.

She topped it off later that night by winning the overall class, a memory she still treasures.

"I was thinking, 'I cannot believe this.' My hands just went up over my mouth," Nichols said. "It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it.   "At any age, if you have a goal, you can accomplish it."

The overall win gave Nichols her professional card and her first pro show -- the OCB Yorton Cup National Figure Championships -- was last weekend in Washington, D.C. It featured top competitors from as far away as California and England.

Nichols has served as motivation and inspiration to friends, family, co-workers and women looking to transform their bodies.

"It's never too late to start. That's hope for everyone," said Larry Miller, who trains Nichols at the Advantage Club in Newark.   "Anyone can start again, too. It's never, ever too late."

Nichols first met Miller 20 years ago, and he soon got her into women's bodybuilding. She had immediate success, winning her first title in 1990, six months after she started. Nichols did well in the dozen or so competitions she entered and was featured in numerous bodybuilding magazines, including nationally-renowned Muscular Development.

But she called it a career -- or so she thought -- in the mid-1990s when her two children, Alicia and Troy, got involved in sports. Both were standout athletes at Newark Catholic and both continued to star in college. Alicia is playing softball at Dayton, and Troy played football at Bryant University.

Both were supportive in her return to competition, as was her husband.  "They both were excited. They told me to go for it," Nichols said.

Nichols started training with Miller in April but had no inclination toward competing. Miller, however, was persistent.

"She still looked good, and I said she should do another show," said Miller, who won the Men's Grand Masters 50-plus bodybuilding class at the same show.

"The rest is history."

Nichols remembers Miller's suggestions and also her initial thoughts on the matter.

"I told him he was crazy. I was done with that," Nichols said.

Nichols eventually gave in by summer and quickly took to the more intense training. Having a clear goal ahead of her also gave Nichols more incentive, especially when it came to dieting.

She remembers staying strict even while vacationing in Florida -- Nichols lost four pounds that week -- but it wasn't easy.

"The gym part was great. I loved being back on that (routine)," Nichols said. "The diet was difficult, especially in the summer. Alicia really helped me and really pushed me."

Said Miller, "She works extremely hard. She's one competitive girl. She's very tenacious. She followed her diet to the ounce. I knew she would be on it."

Nichols' body quickly took impressive shape, harkening back to where she was 15 years ago. She decided on the show in Pittsburgh and caught the attention of everyone when she stepped on stage.

"I was nervous, but when I got out there, it was like the old days," Nichols said. "It was fun and everything just flowed. I felt comfortable out there."

Miller said she looked more than comfortable.

"Her stage presence was incredible," Miller said. "When she walked out on stage, it was like it was 1990 and she hadn't missed a step. It all flowed so well, and she had such a strong presence."

Nichols said the entire process has been enjoyable, so much so that she plans to enter more competitions in 2010.

So much for retirement.  "I was very happy to get back in it," Nichols said. "The support I've had has been wonderful."